Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Writing

I put this over on my vox but thought it belonged here as well.



There's a thread on the AODA mailing list about authorship. It's left me feeling like everyone in the world has been published except me.
Every now and then, in my work, I wind up with a title page credit ("Photo editing by... " "Research by...," that sort of thing.) Sometimes I even get a thank-you in an acknowledgements section. Seeing my name in print thrills me to no end. All of the books that contain my name in the acknowledgements or title page contain lots and lots of my own words. I write figure captions and test questions and credit lines and bullet summaries, and I rewrite huge amounts of bad prose. I've never gotten an author credit for anything. I'm not saying I deserve an author credit for any of that - I'm just a member of the pit-stop crew to the author who is driving the racecar.
I want to drive the racecar, though. I want to write something that is my very own and have it published somewhere besides a blog. I'd settle for an online publication; it might be a good place to start. I want to be in print, though - actual print, on a page, with real ink. That's my goal for this year.
I'm probably doing this backwards, because I have no idea what I want to write about. I imagine most authors think of something they want to write, figure out how to write about it, and learn about the publishing process. I'm completely backwards. I know the publishing process intimately, I have a pretty good idea about how to prepare a manuscript, but I have no idea what to write about.

What's my subject?

2 comments:

Maebius said...

How about your Path to Druidism (sp?)
You know, "Drawing Down the Moon", with less man-bashing and replaced by a references to me! *grin*
I'd buy a book with your name in it!
Though for starters, what if I told you the story of Mr Crow (doug's favorite made-up story) and you could help put it together as a real book for us instead of simply oral tradition?

Nettle said...

Send me what you have on Mr. Crow - I would enjoy playing with it. B. has been painting incessantly - maybe we could get him to do some art and make a proper children's book out of it.

I was thinking of starting with a short article, something for one of the pagan magazines perhaps. A book on my path to druidry could be interesting, but I've only just started down that path and would like to get a little further along before commenting on the view.

What topic do you think needs to be covered in a short article?